Barry Feldman

The attic does have 2 windows - one converted to an attic fan. that's
not really the problem - it's what I have to do to finish it properly.

The unfinished attic is a peak - that is the house is a narrow stucco
with a high pitched roof so if I finished the wall the of course it
would all be angled, not verticle to the floor.

The vent issue is a pain in the A## because I don't have soffits - the
roof line end right at the wall - I think I have to put in these soffit
vents that would be very visable.

So looking at all this work - that got me wondering why there's 8
gazzilion houses with finished attics and no ridge vents. I'm jealous.

Barry

In article , HA HA Budys

From: Barry Feldman

I have a 75 year old stucco on LI,NY with a large unfinished attic. My
neighbor who is a contractor told me that I need ridge/soffit vents
which I'm sure is true.

My question is there are a zillion houses built in the NY area with 3rd
floors without this venting. Are they all rotting away from moisture,
was the old construction different? My neighbor didn't know the answer
and guessed that these houses didn't put insulation in the 3rd floors
and therefore wouldn't have the moisture problem, but that can't be
right.

I'm not doing anything soon anyway - the township wants fire escapes
and sprinklers for refinished existing unfinished 3rd floor spaces.

thanks

Barry
Glen Head NY

--
Barry

Barry-
I'm from LI and every older home with 3 stories (Unfinished walkable attic)
has
at least 2 windows up there, or a couple of very ornamental (octagonal or
diamond shape) vents, which probably were stucco'd over at some time in the
past.

Check your attic again and look for the framing for a window or vent. It's
probably been mistakenly covered over.