Martin Angove

In message ,
"Andrew" wrote:

Thanks for the advice ... I think I'll take a sample of my underlay (from a
high
traffic area) and compare with the vendors ... if theirs is noticably better
I'll
replace with new... else I'll keep the old...
thanks again
Andrew

Probably too late by now, but you could find an independent carpet
supplier like the one we've discovered near Caerphilly rather than
going to one of the chains.

This supplier quotes an "all in" price on his carpets - to include
underlay, gripper, fittings and laying - and *still* worked out cheaper
than CarpetRight who were having a "50% sale" day. CarpetRight's £/sqm
cost did look cheaper, but when you added in the underlay, gripper and
fittings it actually worked out about £1/sqm more expensive for the
exact same carpet before even considering how much it would cost to
have it fitted.

The independent bloke uses an underlay called "Cloud 9" by default which
is one step up from the usual paper/hessian/rippled rubber stuff, being
made from something which looks like chopped foam sandwiched between
paper/hessian and a very slippery PVC-type film.

If you are on a tight budget he will also compromise on some areas
(notably the underlay) as my sister has found :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Can I blame my spelling on Line Noise?