Asimov

"larry" bravely wrote to "All" (30 Aug 04 05:05:26)
--- on the heady topic of "volume pot on Kenwood KA-9100 integrated amp going
bad"

la From: (larry)

la hi,

la after 30 years, the volume pot on my KA-9100 amp seems to be wearing
la out.

la i have read much on cleaning pots, (done that), and replacing pots.
la my searching has found little on repairing pots.

la 'Secret Life of Pots' sailed right past the practicalities, (which i
la need), and into the technicalites, (which i don't understand).

la i was hoping someone had found a site with a faq or a howto on
la repairing pots which they found useful.

la any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.

la thanx,
la larry

Larry, there might be nothing wrong with the pot. Sometimes a leaky
input coupling capacitor attached to the pot's wiper can cause
scratchy noises. Try replacing the cap with one manually selected for
low leakage and tack solder a high value resistor across the wiper to
ground. This value can be about 3 to 5 times the pot's rating and
should be enough to bypass any slight leakage away from the wiper.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Resistance Is Futile! (If 1 ohm)