Doug Dubowski

How did you round off a bowl blank mounted on a lathe with a router? Sounds
facinating! Is it relatively quick and easy to do (once a jig is made)?

DD
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
WoodButcher wrote:

My inlaws in central Florida just lost a beloved tree in Hurricane
Charley. I cut it up this weekend and saved a couple of logs.
I would like to turn a bowl out of it to give them as a momento. It's
"Chinese Tallow" about 8-10" in diameter.

snip

Thanks in advance for ANY recommendations!

Cut in lengths a few inches longer than the diameter.
Make two lengthwise cuts with chainsaw about an inch apart so that
neither blank will contain the pith or center part of the log.

Rough turn to about 3/4 inch thickness then dry in paper bag for a few
months before finish turning. I boil mine after rough turning. You can
look it up. You will get other ways to do all this, this is my own
preferences.

If you have a router, you can round it off on the lathe with the router.
I did this before I had a large bandsaw. Let me know if you are
interested and I can post pictures of the setup I used. NOT freehanded.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"