mawdeeb

"rick" wrote in news:MMTYc.4600$UI6.1973@trnddc08:

As for ordering an HLV-H..I think they are around $40,000 new at the
moment. A good used one is around $5-11,000, depending on tooling
etc.

Just happens to be a used one near me (10 miles away) which is why I
am asking.

I can't tell if you guys are pulling my leg or not as to whether this
is a good machine for a lathe newbie.

Rick

Hardinge machines are in the Cadillac catagory of lathes higher archy....if
they haven't been abused. A well cared for machine with good headstock
bearings will make your introduction into the hobby a dream. You'll
probably cry when you crash a bit into the chuck or chuck into the carriage
in a moment of in-attention.

Such iron in my neck of the woods is rare. Check it out and pay special
attention to the feel of the headstock. Replacement bearings are expensive.

Good luck

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fl.