Gunner

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:12:12 GMT, "rick" wrote:

As for ordering an HLV-H..I think they are around $40,000 new at the
moment. A good used one is around $5-11,000, depending on tooling etc.

Just happens to be a used one near me (10 miles away) which is why I am asking.

I can't tell if you guys are pulling my leg or not as to whether this is a good
machine for a lathe newbie.

Rick

Rick..sigh..all bull**** aside. The HLV-H is considered one of the top
lathes of its class. Its probably one of the finest examples of
American precision tool room lathes. Its the Caddillac of American
lathes.

It has a working envelope of 11" x 24, variable speed, full threading,
5C spindle nose, power feeds on axis, etc etc.

This is the small lathe that for many many years has been considered
the cream of the crop. They are NOT a big gear headed monster
metalhogging machine, but Ive no problem running a .75 drill bit into
a chunk of crs, as long as I dont try to force the issue.

I cant tell you how many of these Ive see with a grinning German or
Hungarian wearing magnifying glasses busy making tiny high precision
parts or big hairy legged guys wacking out shafts and pulleys. Chuckle

If you can get one for a price you can afford that is in decent
condition..Id strongly recommend doing so. Parts are readily available
from Hardinge, though not cheap.

They are simple to fix, simple to operate and hear this..they will
spoil you for any other machine. Once you have run an HLV, you will
be shaking your head every time you run an Atlas/Southbend/Logan etc.

There are lots of accessories available on Ebay..though again not
cheap. And they are not cheap. because of demand.

While CNC has largely taken the place of most tool room lathes, the
high precision lathe still has a place in tool and die shops, etc etc
and everyone wants an HLV. Its the best of the best of its type.
Versitile, accurate as hell, simple to use, simple to repair and
powerful enough for the work its capable of doing.

I have about 6 lathes currently. The one lathe that I turn to for 99%
of my work is the HLV-H. If I could only have one..it would be the
HLV-H.

Ive got a Clausing 1501 15x48" lathe for bigger work and hogging.
These two are all any one could ever want for any type of manual work.
(though I may be scoring an Okuma LS G for a big lathe)

Shrug..thats the best I can tell you. For a newbie..yes the HLV-H is
idea. Its simple, accurate, forgiving and hard to break.
You will find some wear on an older used one. This may be easily
addressed or not. Shrug. If it were close, Id be happy to survey it
for you. I did a survey on one two months ago for a guy, who bought it
on my recommendations. $7500. And he loves it. Professional tool and
die maker of 30 yrs experience.

As I said..its not a gearhead hogging machine. But for the 99.9% of
all the work a hobby guy will ever do, its ideal. YMMV

I should also mention that me..the Master Scrounger, had looked for
one for 9 yrs before getting mine. And it has been my goal for all
that time. And Ive absolutly no remorse about bringing it home and
putting it to work. In fact, its better than I thought it was.

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)