Gunner

On 30 Aug 2004 19:38:11 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article pMQYc.3473$bD5.3005@trnddc03, rick says...

Is a Hardinge HLV-H lathe a special purpose lathe, or is it a good candidate for
general home shop tasks?

It is a good candidate.

Nice understatement.

For one thing, it doesn't look like the tailstock has any adjustment for taper
turning...

When you order the machine, purchase the taper attachment for it
at the same time. This solves the problem nicely.

:^)

Jim

Chuckle..indeed. Ive got access to a Hardinge taper attachment and am
in the process of blue printing it, so I can make one. They are not
commonly found without the machine. While they are absurdly simple in
construction, they are a bit critical in some dimensions. When I
finish, Ill post the drawings in the drop box, as the same taper
attachment works on the HLV-H as well as the TFB.

Which reminds me..Im thinking about selling my TFB. Needs paint.
Ive finally run into the situation where I have too many precision
lathes up and running well. Shrug.

At this point..only Thinking about it..

As for ordering an HLV-H..I think they are around $40,000 new at the
moment. A good used one is around $5-11,000, depending on tooling etc.

Gunner

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)