George E. Cawthon

Claudia wrote:

I was told by the plumbing contractor that I invited to give me a quote for
a new WH, gas, that there is NO DIFFERENCE in the actual unit between a
6/10/lifetime warranted WH, just that the additional cost would cover their
long-term exposure. While it would make sense - I find it hard to believe
that is the only difference.

Also the price for the changeout is $1600, which seems excessive to me.
This particular contractor also engages in a practice that I find
objectionable, list pricing and then discounting. And continually saying
that they are so much more honest than other plumbers.

So while I have no intention of using them, is this USUAL practice to not
delineate the make/model of the intended product to be installed, and such a
huge changeout fee.

I am not physically capable of doing the changeout, which is the only reason
that I am talking to a contractor at. Is there a way to buy the water
heater (and is there any other than the Bradford White Defender) have it
drop shipped and then have it installed. The unit is in my garage and with
a new unit (which I will maintain), I am not very concerned about valve
failure or water in the area after everything gets off the floor - which
should be within a month - YEAH!
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

You're kidding? $1600? A completely new installation of a Bradford
White 50 gallon gas heater was $400 3 years ago (not the high
efficiency one because I don't want to hear the induction fan).
Anyway, I bought an electric unit previously and was told the same
thing, looked at all the specs, and I couldn't find any difference
except for the heating coils and the cost difference was only $20 for
the pair.

Why are you going through a contractor? That just doubles your cost.
A top line 50 gallon water heater is a maximum of $500, takes a
maximum of $50 additional parts, requires less than an hour to
install, and costs less than $50 for disposal of the old tank in many
places. I thought HD charge for installing a water heater was
rediculous and it was less than $200.