Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:08:57 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from Mike Mitchell contains these words:

I believe that when it comes to the biggest asset most of us will ever
acquire, there is no room for funny business and vendors should state
the price up front as in England and Wales.

The Scottish system is an auction. When property in England and Wales
is sold at auction, the price starts at a reserve and goes upwards, just
the same.

In an auction you get to see what others are bidding and can pull out
or go on accordingly. In the Scottish sealed bids system you are
driving blind all the way. It is a ridiculous system.

There are also fixed price property sales in Scotland; it's used for
newbuilds, and sometimes for property which didn't attract any auction
bidders.

Yes, I saw some fixed price properties on RightMove. Perhaps even the
Scots are getting wise to their own grossly iniquitous system.

MM