Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steven Campbell wrote:
Can someone tell me the difference between a standard drill and a SDS
drill. I would hazard a guess that the motor is stronger. Can these
drills be used in the same way as a standard drill?

They use a special chuck which totally prevents the drill slipping, and a
much stronger hammer action. They must be used with the correct special
drill bits - which although more expensive to buy are cheaper in the long
run because they last much longer.

Better SDS drills can have their chuck swapped for an ordinary one for non
hammer drilling. Others can have an ordinary chuck plugged into the SDS
one. But they don't usually have as high a maximum speed as a normal drill.

Best to buy an el cheapo non hammer mains drill as well for everything
other than masonry. They're smaller and lighter.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.