Set Square

John Smith wrote:

Thanks - just double checked now and it looks like a 1/2 inch diameter
copper pipe going to, and soldered to, a piece of copper pipe, about 2
inches long, which is slightly wider, so I assume that is 15mm
diameter pipe, which has a bolt on the end and which is attached
directly to the taps. I assume the short piece of pipe with the bolt
on the end is a type of tap connector? It is impossible to see the
tap connectors behind the bowl of the sink.

I'm pretty sure that what you've got is the 1960's equivalent of a soldered
tap connector - see
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...&cd=1&x=7&y=11
(Watch the wrap. If the link doesn't work, go to www.screwfix.com and look
for part 15894) [The one shown here is bent, but the straight ones are
similar].

Thae change in diameter is where the pipe goes into the fitting. The fitting
obviously has to be bigger than the pipe so that the pipe can go inside.

With respect to pipe sizes, it's worth pointing out that, with a 1/2"
imperial pipe, the 1/2" refers to the nominal *inside* diameter - whereas
metric pipe is sized on the *outside*. There is actually *very* little
difference between the outside diameter of a 1/2" and 15mm pipe. There is
slightly more difference between 3/4" and 22mm - but even that isn't very
great.
--
Cheers,
Set Square