David E. Penner

In article ,
(MyOwnPlanet) wrote:

SNIP

Now that the wood is IN the house, I have noticed that the wood has a
musty (mildew?) smell to it, since it was salvaged I can't really say
what all it has encountered from the old gym to my house. I live in a
humid climate, north of Seattle.

What I am wondering is:

1. Can this mildew spread to my whole house? So far, my house isn't
prone to mildew.

2. Will wiping each board with a bleach mix, after it is planed, kill
this mildew before installation?

Thank you kindly ~ Lady Planet

I picked up some used maple flooring about 6 years ago. It, like yours
smelled--- musty. I tried to use the stuff for small projects over a
period of 2-3 years. Even after 3 years it smelled of mildew. I ended up
giving it to a friend who used it for firewood.

Just my little experience.

david