Set Square

Jon Harris wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jon Harris wrote:
My basic B&D hammer drill just doesn't seem to have the guts to
make any impression on the concrete. What bit should i be using and
are there any other tips you could give this frustrated DIY newbie?!

You need an SDS drill, I'm afraid. Uses a different method of
'hammering' which is strong enough to go through concrete.

Thanks Dave, having a Google around I saw the SDS drill bits and
wondered if hiring one of the drills was the way to go.

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jon H.

There are a lot of sub-50 quid SDS drills around these days which are ok for
occasional DIY (though not professional!) use - so buying one may be
preferable to hiring.

You are *sure* it's concrete, aren't you? A lot of lintels are made of steel
box section - which will also resist a normal hammer drill, but which need
an HSS bit without hammer action rather than an SDS drill.
--
Cheers,
Set Square