John Smith

Default Leaky tap

Hi,

I have changed the washer on two old - very old - taps in my house, (I think
the taps are about 40 years old), and they are still leaking after having
replaced the 1/2 inch washers.

To be frank, I am not certain is the half inch washer is the right size as
each tap looks as if it could do with a slightly bigger washer - anyone know
if older taps used to have 'bigger' size washers and, if so, where can I lay
my hands on replacements today?

Anyhow, after replacing the washers the taps are still dripping and so my
options appear to be:

1) Buy a hand grinder and grind down the seat. I have never done this
before, have no idea how difficult it is and whether it works or not?

2) Replace the taps altogether. I have never done this before and I have put
off doing it as the copper pipes leading to the taps look old, are in a
difficult place, etc, etc, but it is something I have been thinking about
doing/learning so... If I go down this route what things should I be wary of
and what new whizz bang products are available in terms of fittings there
days - i.e. should I consider those flexible pipes that fit on taps,
push-fit fittings, etc?

Any thoughts, advice on the above would be of use,

Thanks,

John.