Phil Munro

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Barry Feldman wrote:

I have a 75 year old stucco on LI,NY with a large unfinished attic. My
neighbor who is a contractor told me that I need ridge/soffit vents
which I'm sure is true.

My question is there are a zillion houses built in the NY area with 3rd
floors without this venting. Are they all rotting away from moisture,
was the old construction different? My neighbor didn't know the answer
and guessed that these houses didn't put insulation in the 3rd floors
and therefore wouldn't have the moisture problem, but that can't be
right.

I'm not doing anything soon anyway - the township wants fire escapes
and sprinklers for refinished existing unfinished 3rd floor spaces.

thanks

Barry
Glen Head NY

It depends on the construction, location of vapor barriers living space
insulation etc.

There is some difference of opinion wrt this. Finished top floors do
not need roof ventilation according to some writers. Personally, I
think of finished top floor ceilings like walls; we don't ventilate
walls. On the other hand, I always make every attempt to use vapor
barrier paint on outside walls and ceilings which have no other vapor
barrier.
I would never fail to use a vent for an attic where the insulation is
in the attic floor. But when the attic has the insulation in its
ceiling, as is the case with finished surfaces, that is debatable, I
think.
Just my opinion; feel free to shoot it down. But I am always looking
for STUDIES about this kind of thing. --Phil
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555