dadiOH

raymondj wrote:
I clean white china bristle brushes using paint thinner and one of
those metal combs used for cleaning brushes. This appears to work
but after time the amount of "usable" bristles gets smaller. From
the metal piece growning downward it turns into a rock.

I purposely try to get this section by turning the brush upside down
with fresh paint thinner on it and working it with the comb.

What am I doing wrong, or is this just life? Thanks.

1. Don't dip the brush so deep into the paint (1/3 is fine)

2. After use, suspend in thinner. By "suspend" I mean hang it so the part
with paint is covered and the brush bottom doesn't rest on the bottom of the
receptacle. Most of the paint will dissolve out and settle to the bottom of
the can. I then squeeze out as much as possible by wrapping a paper towel
around the bristles and "milking" them from ferrule to brush tip. Still
dirty? Repeat suspending and milking as necessary; use clean thinner for
the final go. If there are bits/flecks of dried paint that the thinner
won't touch, I use a comb, never a wire brush.

3. Once clean, shape the bristles, suspend again until dry and then store.

4. To remove the crud now in your brush, use brush cleaner.

As an aside, the thing that ruins most brushes is standing them on their
bristles and/or drying them so that the bristles aren't down. I have always
used shaving brushes...rinse, squeeze and shake, stand up to dry. I went
through a lot of brushes that way because ultimately the bristle base would
get compacted with soap and the bristles would loosen and fall out. Finally
wised up and started suspending with bristles down...that brush is now 30
years old and good as new.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...