Barry Feldman

Default Ridge Vents - How do Old 3 stories survive without?

I have a 75 year old stucco on LI,NY with a large unfinished attic. My
neighbor who is a contractor told me that I need ridge/soffit vents
which I'm sure is true.

My question is there are a zillion houses built in the NY area with 3rd
floors without this venting. Are they all rotting away from moisture,
was the old construction different? My neighbor didn't know the answer
and guessed that these houses didn't put insulation in the 3rd floors
and therefore wouldn't have the moisture problem, but that can't be
right.

I'm not doing anything soon anyway - the township wants fire escapes
and sprinklers for refinished existing unfinished 3rd floor spaces.

thanks

Barry
Glen Head NY

--