WoodButcher

Default Bowl from Chinese Tallow

My inlaws in central Florida just lost a beloved tree in Hurricane
Charley. I cut it up this weekend and saved a couple of logs.
I would like to turn a bowl out of it to give them as a momento. It's
"Chinese Tallow" about 8-10" in diameter.

My first thought was to turn it as a "bullseye" (grain parallel to the
lathe axis). But I'm told that's almost certain to warp and/or crack.
So I'm ready to slice the log into a "crosswise" blank.

I have several questions:

Should I dry it first, then turn it; or turn it green?
What's the best/fastest way to dry it? As a log or as a sliced blank?

When I slice it, should I use one of the outside slices or the center
cut, for turning? My bandsaw won't accomodate the log, so I'll be
using a chainsaw. I'm guessing I should then lay the slice down and
bandsaw it close to circular before mounting on the lathe to avoid
loosening my teeth while trying to round it up. Any thoughts?

Concerning Ch. Tallow: Any toxicity issues (I can't imagine they'll
ever use the bowl for food, but just in case...)? Once I get a decent
bowl, is the rest worth saving for woodworking...or better firewood?
(I have PLENTY to practice with until I get a good bowl!)

I guess I should say I'm an intermediate woodworker, some lathe
experience (all between centers, no bowls!) and no experience with
green wood...working it or drying it.

Thanks in advance for ANY recommendations!