IHateSpam

I am in the market on buying water heater in Canada, and this is what I
know:

Installed regular water heater 50 Gal, cheapest cost about 550$ Canadian.
That is about 400$US. Heater price was about 440$ and 100$ labour. That is
the best quote I got so far.

At Home Depot they sell GE water heaters:
http://www.geappliances.com/smar****...tures_main.htm

The one with 6 years limited waranty cost about 450$ + 150$ installation.
The one with 12 years waranty costs about 700$ + 150$ installation.
As you can see from GE page, model have some differences, not just waranty
price.

Now if you will go with PowerVented, price will be about 1100-1300$
Canadian.
If you have tankless water heater, price will be again different.

I am not sure about the brand you mentioned (Bradford White Defender), but
quick search on the internet shows that they offer them installed somewhere
in US at price below 600$:
http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...lochinvar.html

Regards

"Claudia" wrote in message
I was told by the plumbing contractor that I invited to give me a quote

for
a new WH, gas, that there is NO DIFFERENCE in the actual unit between a
6/10/lifetime warranted WH, just that the additional cost would cover

their
long-term exposure. While it would make sense - I find it hard to believe
that is the only difference.

Also the price for the changeout is $1600, which seems excessive to me.
This particular contractor also engages in a practice that I find
objectionable, list pricing and then discounting. And continually saying
that they are so much more honest than other plumbers.

So while I have no intention of using them, is this USUAL practice to not
delineate the make/model of the intended product to be installed, and such

huge changeout fee.

I am not physically capable of doing the changeout, which is the only

reason
that I am talking to a contractor at. Is there a way to buy the water
heater (and is there any other than the Bradford White Defender) have it
drop shipped and then have it installed. The unit is in my garage and

with
a new unit (which I will maintain), I am not very concerned about valve
failure or water in the area after everything gets off the floor - which
should be within a month - YEAH!
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori