Anthony

Jon Elson wrote in
rvers.com:

Russ Wizinsky wrote:
I went to an interview where the shop manager wanted somebody to run
his Mazaks. That's all the shop had in the place and he had a few.
The were fairly new. I've run Mazaks for probably 4-5 years but I've
been doing it all in G&M code, and if I got stuck I'd use Surfcam.
He said he'd prefer someone who knew Maztrol. I told him it probably
wouldn't be a huge deal to figure out I've used lots of different
machines with different controls and another one had conversational,
but he was quite insistant. The stuff they were doing didn't look
like rocket science or anything pretty much, keyways, a few tapped
holes, couple bores. Nothing with compound angles or funky stuff.
Am I thinking wrong about this?

No, the shop owner is thinking wrong, but trying to convince him will
be like talking to a wall. They are not doing "rocket science"
because conversational programming (I'm assuming that is what Maztrol
is) is usually so limited that anything really complex can't be done
with it. Our shop at work is the same way. Since the only guy who
knew the CAD-CAM system died, they call up a consultant at bridgeport
to write all the tough lines of G-code for them that they can't get
the conversational mode to do.

Jon

crossposted to a.m.c as the OP posted there also

Actually Jon, Mazatrol can do pretty much anything you can do in G-code,
abiet sometimes with a slower cycle time due to excessive safe moves,
etc. That said, however, the advantage to Maz is that once you are
somewhat fluent in programming it, you can program, set up and be running
parts probably before the CAM guy even gets his PC booted up. That is
where Maz shines, a job shop where onesies/twosies are the norm. Maz is
probably the best conversational program out there, especially for lathe
work. Ask DW how complex things can be done in Maz, he uses it every day,
for sometimes very complex parts.
It is used in our jigs shop daily on an Integrex (lathe/mill combo
machine), for very complex fixturing parts.
If you are doing high-volume production on a Maz, Mazatrol is not for
you, EIA rules in that environment where optimization is key.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email