Wayne

Paul Oman wrote in
:

Hello everyone

My wife is looking at a stainless gas Jenn-air stove. My
questions:

is stainless steel finish a good idea? how about
scratches, polishing it, etc. Any out there with stainless
appliances, would you get stainless again?

One thing to remember, apart from the characteristics of stainless steel,
is that it is just as much a passing fashion as were Harvest Gold,
Avocado Green, and Coppertone appliances, not to mention the Pink, Green,
Turquoise, Yellow, and Cocoa of the 1950s. Your choice of finish should
be governed by your long-range plans.

If you don't cook and don't spend much time in the kitchen, stainless
steel can contribute to one of the most beautiful kitchens. If you do
cook, be prepared for scratches, staining, heat discoloration, and
cleaning woes up the kazoo, that is, unless those things don't bother
you. A porcelain enamel finish can be cracked or chipped by a misplaced
blow, but it's infinitely easier to keep clean and new looking. That
same blow can put a healthy dent in stainless steel.

I would never again buy a stainless steel sink or appliance, except for
the *interior* of a dishwasher.

Also - the stove has a grill one side with a downdraft
vent/exhust system. (grill side can be replaced with
regular burners). Is the grill a 'good thing' or a 'bad
thing' in turns of performance, use, etc. Is it something
that would get used a lot or once or twice the first month
and then never used?

Grills on a stove can be wonderful. Downdraft exhaust systems are often
marginal in performance. By comparison, Jenn-Air's grills have modest
output compared to other top brands.

If you're going to spend money over and above an ordinary range, I would
skip the Jenn-Air and look at levels above it. You will find better
quality and performance.

regards

paul oman

--