On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:03:35 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:

It seems the house that I just bought came with a Starett 0-6"
micrometer set. I found it in the back of a cabinet in the shop where it
had apparently been forgotten for some time. There is some rust one them
any they do not turn freely at present. Before I start futzing with them
I wanted to see if anyone has a recommended procedure to restore these
to useable condition. Since my metrology department currently consists
of a 0-1" micrometer and a 6" calpier these would be a nice addition if
I can rescue them.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Nice find. If they don't turn, soak them in a penetrating oil, I'm
not going to get into which is best. Someone suggested wire brush,
BRASS ONLY!!!! You may have to take the thimbles off the spindles,
don't let that stop you, these aren't rocket science. IF you have to
clean the internal threads, we used to have a brass brush that looked
all the world like it came from a .30cal rifle cleaning kit. Again
BRASS. Once they're disassembled, clean everything thoroughly,
nothing is more embarrassing than getting it adjusted and finding out
that it's erratic because you miss one tiny piece of dirt. Clean and
dry, with just a tiny bit of fine oil, instrument oil is good, but if
you don't have it, hobby shops have pretty much the same thing for
model railroads. (Old Starrett tools are a weakness of mine, but I
also like Lufkin and Brown and Sharpe.) IF they haven't been abused
or worn out, they should last a lifetime.