Mark

"kklein" wrote in message
What designates stainless as food grade?

With a former employer, I have seen 300-series and 400-series stainless
steel alloys both used in food grade applications. Also the company used
several aluminum alloys and hot-dip-tin-coated cast iron.

More critical than the actual alloy was that the stainless steel did not
have porosity. Some part designs were cast and the main thing we tried to
acheive was lack of porosity which could trap food particles and cause
bacteria formation. I suppose this was also important in welded parts but I
worked in the foundry.

Mark