N. Thornton

wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

I'm surprised they are so expensive in the UK. Grainger's has a 120 V motor.
You might look for window box fans in some large UK home building supply
store or industrial hardware store, or convert your house to 120 V :-)

thats not so hard actually, the 120v. I've no idea what it would cost
to import one, but more significantly our 50Hz tends to roast your
60Hz motors.

The fans in the sheds (stores) are not of acceptable quality, from
either noise or fire risk point of view. Certainly I could buy them at
20 a piece, but theres no point installing something everyone
complains about and wont use, and which is a fire risk. Unfortunately
the decent ones are a lot more money.

Put the fan in a window on one side of the house, and open a few house
windows a bit on the other side. Use a cigarette or your velocity stick
and open or close the windows a bit to ensure uniform air velocity or
air temperature in every part of the house with the fan running, eg
through the connecting doors of all rooms?

Well... have already tried an unfanned version of this, and the
cooperation just isnt there, so it doesnt work. Works great when
people cooperate, but you know what its like...

Seems like every idea theres some kinda block with Oh and the whole
house fan, the only location it could go theres something in the way
that cant be moved! Life :/ The only option this leaves me with that I
can see is one fan per room, with the attic having its own fan and not
connected with the rest of the house. Unfortunately it means a lot of
pricey fans, a lot of holes and a lot of chasing and wiring. I dont
like that.

Regards, NT