N. Thornton

Anthony Matonak wrote in message news:dVkYc.1661$6q.1348@trnddc06...
N. Thornton wrote:

this really confirms my brief thought to use a ceiling fan and make a
thin flexible plywood cowl for it. Mount the fan on the roof rather
than ceiling, with an extended drop rod. This would deal with the
noise issue, provide sufficient air shift, come with 3 speed settings,
and be cheap too.

I think you'll find the blades on a ceiling fan aren't shaped to
be very efficient. Most whole house fans, even the window versions,
have a much more advanced shape. You might do better to buy two or
three cheap box fans.

Cheap box fans are thoroughly noisy though. This will be operating
above bedroom ceilings. They are also a fire risk, and will be
operating out of sight or smell. Decent box fans I've been seeing at
90-150 GBP each in trade catalogs, x1.5 to get USD.

Place a curved duct inside the box

ya lost me there

and they
can pull a lot of air. They usually have three speeds and on "low"
they're pretty quiet. Two or three set on low will be able to pull
a lot of air through your building and you could turn them on/off
individually to act as a kind of multi-speed control.

This would work fine with the decent ones, but be about 15 times the
cost of a ceilng fan, 300 rather than 20. If I need to do that, OK,
but do I?

Regards, NT