Eric

There just could be a little difference between "desoldering" & "soldering"

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Eric" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Aug 04 22:10:20)
--- on the heady topic of " how do you clean your tip?"

It seems to work well that way in the experimenting I've done. It
certainly works well for the desoldering purpose I originally needed.
My thinking is the opposite of wetting, instead the aluminum alloy tip
stays dry and only serves to transfer heat to the work. Then the
solder/flux is applied to the work to absorb the solder and not the
tip. I don't know which Al alloy it is but the stock came from a
discarded ice-cube tray. I'm assuming this Al alloy has a good
non-stick surface characteristic. BTW I've seen Al tips but used on
wood burning kraft art kits.

Er Reply-To: "Eric"

Er I must say, I was worried about this idea.
Er You need the solder to be able to "take to the tip" ever tried using a
Er tip that has gone all black, and will not "take the solder" useless as
Er iron turned off.

Er "Ross Herbert" wrote in message
Er ...
Er On Sunday, 29 Aug 2004 00:02:56 -500, "Asimov"
Er wrote:

Er " bravely wrote to "All" (28 Aug 04 04:07:54)
Er | --- on the heady topic of " how do you clean your tip?"
Er |
Er |Why don't they make tips out of aluminum alloy? I shaped a small Al
Er tip |to remove 8 pin ics and it seems to work fine without corroding at
Er all. |
Er |

Er Aluminum (aluminium) oxidises very easily, even when not heated, and
Er you also need special flux and solder in order to "tin" (or rather
Er plate) the tip so that it can efficiently transfer heat to the solder
Er joint. I can't see this metal being at all useful for soldering tip
Er construction.

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

---