Robert Galloway

More consumption in the 240 volt mode. Makes sense. Doesn't work out
that way. The rotating motor functions as a generator. Its generated
emf opposes the supplied emf. Its ability to counter the supplied
voltage is what limits the net draw. If there's voltage drop in the
line, (which is more pronounced in the 120v mode) then the motor is
less effective as a generator, less effective at opposing the applied
emf and generates more temp rise. Motors run best at full rated
voltage. However you want to supply this, the result is the same. On
120 volt, use the largest gauge wire. For a given gauge, 240v will do a
better job of keeping your motor spun up to the full rated RPM and
therefore do the best job of generating counter emf.

bob g.

BadgerDog wrote:

Why would the saw run cooler if there is more voltage to the saw?

To first order, won't the saw consume the same amount of power when using
120V or 240V (assuming of course the motor is wired correctly for the
appropriate voltage)? That said, in reality I think that saw will consume a
little more power (maybe 5-10% more for a typical installation) in the 240V
configuration than it would in the 120V configuration.

BadgerDog

wrote in message

By doubling the voltage, the current is halved. Therefore the I/R (voltage
drop of the wire, which is a function of the current and resistance in

wire)

is cut in half. (more voltage to the saw).
The saw starts better (the most current is on startup) runs better, cooler

and

should last longer.
Just my $0.02

Frank

Brandt in western Canada wrote:

Does changing the voltage capability on my TS allow me to work the saw
harder or does it simply help prevent overheating and burnout and a few
breaker runs?

I have already blown out a capacitor on the motor, ugh. (120volt

setting)