DanG

I have mine mounted on casters with no locking mechanism of any
type. The casters only hold the base off the floor about 1/2
inch. I have never found it to be awkward to have it moveable, my
drill press work just doesn't seem inclined to move the tool. The
same is true for my bandsaw, miter saw, stationary sander (I have
had to chock the wheels on the sander if I'm being aggressive),
and planer Let the tools do the work.

Save the mobile base stuff for the table saw and jointer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Grant" wrote in message
Just picked up the DP400 from Lowes for $220. But I would
really like to
have a mobile base for it seeing that it is good size for my
garage. There
was one idea I found online here
http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworkin...istMobileBase/

Now this is not bad but I'd like to have more of footprint than
just the
drill base itself. The manual suggests at least 3" extra all
around. We
have a couple of drills this size at work but they are bolted to
the cement,
so I don't know how tipsy they get without securing. Of course
bolting to
the ground is best. The ones at work don't move at all which is
great .

Of the mobile bases that I saw for sale the Delta 50-345 looks
best to me in
that I could make a plywood base to fit the mobile part and I
like the
simple lifting 3rd wheel.

And there is the HTC2000 by I don't know who really but the
delta just looks
easier overall.

Now I really don't have the funds I want to put out $50 at this
point for a
mobile base, I need to buy some building supplies for my project
instead.
I'd like to cut this cost in half at least.

Any ideas?