Andy Hall

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:29:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Hopefully Morrisons will sell other stores to Waitrose as they learn
that their cheap junk approach doesn't work in every area.

There's a demand - a need even - for both approaches.

Morrison doesn't sell only cheap junk. When I've had to go to Safeways it
seemed that Safeways did. For instance, I can always get organic milk at
Morrison, Safeways seemed to have such a small stock that it sold out
quickly. Not good stock control.

I agree regarding their stock control and didn't feel that they were
as good as the the major players. They did have an own brand of
better quality products which sold well, but those seem to be
disappearing.

Morrisons appear to be making the classic mistake of not looking at
the local conditions but applying a one size fits all mentality.
This will cost them dearly.

I'd be very happy to have a local Waitrose but it isn't going to happen. My
reason isn't price but good quality - and locally sourced foods.

All of the supermarkets could do a better job at that. They would do
well to take a trip to France and look at the quality and
presentation, expecially of fresh produce in supermarkets there.

But we seem
to manage very well with our present arrangements. Baby son came at short
notice to dinner last night and was amazed at what I could rustle up without
going shopping. I felt very smug because he's so critical about food.

I can't imagine where he gets it from ...

:-)

Mary

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl