Rudy

Default Sad Tale: Leitz Tooling Systems-"Free" Unisaw blade sharpening

When I bought my Unisaw in 1998, there were two coupons for a "free"
sharpening in the case with the blade.
I used one in 2000 by mailing the blade from Tucson to Leitz in CA. I did
it while planning to be away on vacation. That worked well...Leitz in the
USA.
Anyway, in the meantime, we've moved to Canada so I called and got the Leitz
location up here (1-Ontario)
On July 16th I spent $ 12.00 for postage and mailed the blade off, then left
on vacation. I expected that there would be a notice in the mailbox on our
return to p/u the blade.

We returned Aug 7 and no notice. On the Monday, Aug 9 I called Leitz and
was told the blade 'went out' on the Thu or Friday. I waited for a few days
and sure enough, I got a notice in the mailbox that the blade was at the
PO....
COD $ 38.00 !!!

I called Leitz again and related the above. The fellow there said that the
person that opens the pkgs and sharpens the blades does not always look for
the coupon..The $ 38 represented sharpening and return postage ($30) and $
8.00 to replace 4 chipped carbide teeth. After some discussion, he
"believed" that I had indeed sent the coupon so told me to decline the COD
and have the PO return the blade to them..they'd remail. I sent them a
check for the $ 8.00 and sat down to wait for the blade. Well, here we are
2 weeks later..no blade..called again yesterday to find the contact guy I'd
spoken to was "at a trade show in Atlanta". "Call back Monday"...BTW, the
"super special" $ 4.99 10" 24 tooth carbide blade from Harbor Freight IS
junk..(but you knew that) unless all you cut is plywood and don't mind the
uneven teeth leaving "stripes" in your work.