James Salisbury

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:03:22 +0100, Ian wrote:

the old back box was nailed to the wall with approx. 2.5 inch nail.

Normal builders parctice, fix the boxes with what ever is handy.

Is this used just to secure the box ?

Yes, it has nothing to do with "earthing", that comes via the cabling.

could I drill a hole and secure with a wall plug and screw?

Yes.

I'm going to leave the bare wires sticking out with the fuse
pulled..... I know my limits!

I don't like that idea but respect your admission. I take it the "bare
wires" are the wires as removed from the old switch. If you really
don't want to wire up a new switch wander of to a shed and get a 30A
connector strip ("chocolate block") and a blank double plate. Put each
wire into a seperate terminal, (so you'll need 6) put that into the
back box and cover with blank plate. Nothing can touch anything it
shouldn't and neither can prying fingers.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I suspect the OP has a large MK cooker control unit, this is a little bigger
than a double plate!! But it would still be a good idea to properly insulate
the wires!!