J.B. Bobbitt

Be careful of the padauk sawdust, its known to be a severe allergen and/or
toxin. Milling or sanding it throws up A LOT of very fine reddish dust that
settles everywhere. I suffered a pretty severe chest infection after
working it in a closed-up shop once. Dust collection and a respirator are
in order.

I've read that oil-based finishes will cause padauk to turn darker brown
faster. I've also read recommendations for water-based urethanes. UV
protection is the key to preserving the color.

-jbb

"Ron Angel" wrote in message
Just pick up a small piece of each this morning.
I'm planning on making a few small desk items with it. Pen & pencil

holder,
bus card holder and such.

I've never used this wood before.

Any tips on working with it, specifically cutting & routing it.

I'm just planning on gluing it up with orig Titebond instead of trying to
shoot some 5/8" brads,
since they are both pretty dense woods.

What is a good choice for a finish which will help the woods retain their
great colors?

ThankX again,
Ron