PoP

Default Homebase & B&Q own-brand tools

On 21 Jan 2004 03:53:33 -0800, (Andrew)
wrote:

That's the one I have and I'm more than pleased with it. I don't use
any of the "free" cutters though.

The £99 jobbie. Easily the most awful router I've tried to use. The
problems included the following:

1) For a 2KW router it had the performance of 800W. It literally
slowed down significantly when taking only a minimum cut.
2) The depth lock did not grip - as you traversed a cut the cutter
would dig deeper into the material. No amount of squeezing on the lock
lever would coerce the router into sticking to the set depth.
3) After only a short time of use my hands were supremely aching by
virtue of the fact that the switch was hard to hold in, and the other
hand was squeezing real hard on the depth lock lever.
4) The dust extraction fitting prevented the router from plunging to
its advertised depth.
5) It was noisy and there was vibration when the router was in
operation - which suggests that either the bearings were crap or that
they were out of alignment.

I was using brand new kitchen worktop bits - I tried a couple of
different bits.

I think there may have been a couple more points which I can't
remember now. Took it back, got a full refund, and purchased a Trend
T9. Now that's what I call a router

You might like to be aware that at the time I took my router back the
exact same rebadged router was for sale in Bracknell town square in a
cut-price store for £39, and they were obviously still able to command
a profit. That PowerPro router appears to have been a rebadged Rolson,
which is a chinese or indian import.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.