Bruce L. Bergman

On 27 Aug 2004 16:43:32 -0700, (ken) wrote:

I've been trying to convince the boss we need a CNC mill. We are
located in the Ozarks in Arkansas and have unreliable power in our
area(that would be Arkansas). My boss's big complaint against CNC's is
this power supply problem A fella down the road with a CNC mill is
constantly having problems because of the unreliable power. I want to
know can what the power company sends us be filtered or backeup
somehow to give us reliable, clean AC? Backuped would be for the
numerous blimps and short power outages. Not the day after day without
power we get out here.

If the problems are really coming from the power utility and are not
just glitches in the computer that are being conveniently blamed on
the power - in other words, you can see the lights flickering often
and frequently - a UPS system isn't going to help.

It doesn't matter if you keep the CNC computer running with a UPS
for the controls if the big motors doing the work stop. You still
just made scrap out of that chunk of metal.

If the power at your shop is really that bad, I would work with the
power utility to get you on a better circuit - they often have special
circuits set up for hospitals and public buildings where they take
special pains to avoid switching glitches and blackouts, you might be
able to get switched over to one of those.

Otherwise you might have to install your own primary engine
generator plant (Diesel, Gasoline, Natural Gas, Propane) to run the
CNC mill from, to get the reliability you need to never stop in the
middle of a cut - that way the power will be rock steady unless the
generator breaks down, or the fuel tank runs dry.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545