B.B.

In article ,
"Tim Williams" wrote:

I seem to remember pictures of a sphere of
molten metal suspended in the field created by two water cooled coils.
Does anyone recall this article?

No, but I've seen it before. You put two short solenoid coils a small
distance away; the magnetic field inbetween them has a high uniformity. Put
some conductive object in the middle and you've got a levitator! Since it
has to carry AC, it helps for said object to be low resistance
(aluminum/copper/silver) so it makes a nice BEMF. A few more tesla of field
and you can levitate nonconductive (diamagnetic) things like frogs!

Yeah, but can you induction-heat the frogs? And will the field
successfully contain the results of that heating?

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net