Brett Jackson

Never saw that myself when I was doing PC support. Not sure what value a
UPS alone is if you're backing up. Cost of UPS vs. cost of components
broken by spike vs. likelyhood of said spike occuring over the lifetime of
components.

As I remember UPS's never tended to be too reliable - lot's of expensive
battery problems.

"Kalico" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:25:54 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:
[snip]

Even if he *did* have a UPS, there is no need to run speakers from it. As

general rule, you want to put the minimum of equipment on a UPS to

maximise
the run time when on batteries.
Also, many UPSs don't filter the mains much, JUST provide backup power

when
the mains goes out. You have to get a decent UPS for this feature.

Also, UPSs are NOT a replacement for backups. Even with a

top-of-the-range
UPS your hard drive can still fail and lose all your data.

Alan.

I agree Alan. No need at all to run speakers through the UPS
although, unless they are meaty speakers, their current drain would be
minimal.

A UPS that doesn't filter the mains is not much use as to my mind any
good quality unit will do this. I also agree that a UPS is not a
replacement for a backup. But, many people do not backup as often as
they ought and I was envising the (increasingly common) problem of
mains spikes. When I worked in IT support, I was amazed by the number
of times a PC/server went belly up and on opening the case, literally
half of the components had blown off the motherboard and other cards.
Needless to say the hard drive was toasted and much of these cases
could have been avoided by the mains being filtered for spikes.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply