Peter Ashby

Default Varnishing over Paint

In article ,
(Bob) wrote:

To give a hardwearing, washable finish, I thought I should then add a
few coats of varnish. However, the varnish leaves a patchy,
grubby-looking finish (even when using brand new brushes) which makes
me wonder whether it is incompatible with the paint below.

Are you mixing water and solvent based finishes? Max Bone once pointed
out to me that this is not a problem but you do need to wait several
days between the different finishes.

Alternatively what sort of varnish are you using? If it is polyurethane
then you may need to sand the paint to roughen it slightly to give the
poly some grip.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.