Michael Black

JW ) writes:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:00:31 -0400 "Leonard G. Caillouet"
wrote in Message id:
:

I use a stainless steel pot scrubber stuffed into the bottom of my iron
holders. It cleans the tips everytime you put the iron into the holder.

Hmm. I was taught to clean before using and put back dirty to keep a nice
tinned tip. Also, I was under the impression that using abrasives would
wear out the tip quicker.

I thought he was talking about that plastic "steel wool" that isn't nearly
as abrasive as actual steel wool.

And yes, the cleaning is more to get rid of the accumulated junk, so it
doesn't need to be cleaned when idling, and I suspect the junk may help
to protect the tip.

Michael