JerryL

I had a family of cardinals 'attacking' all my windows. These attacks ran
from sunrise to sunset. I called the Audubon Society and they told me that
the birds see their reflection in the windows and think it's a foe, hence
the attack. I tried smearing a glass wax on the windows and that didn't
help. I finally resorted to covering my windows with translucent drop cloths
on the outside. The attacks stopped. Took a few weeks and the birds
disappeared and peace was restored to my household.
"HR" wrote in message
Another thing to try, and this may not look so pretty (but maybe nicer
than
the netting) is to hang a single rope in front of the window that will
blow
in the breeze slightly. That, coupled with decals, helped one of my family
members deal with this quite nicely.

I don't know how big a bird has to be to break a window - but if the dove
hit
it and didn't break it, that's a good sign...

I am not sure about anything else, but I wonder if there is an
anti-reflective or some kind of tinting material you can affix to the
window
that might help? Maybe you can call a window company and ask what they
recommend?

Good luck. That must have been really startling (and saddening) to hear
that
last crash!

Holly

: On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:04:58 -0700, John Davies

: wrote:

:We have several feeders out back and the house has large picture
:windows on both floors. Five (!!!) birds in the last two weeks have
:been killed through flying into the glass (4 finches and 1 mourning
:dove - this last one sounded like a bomb going off) . We have tried
:the self-stick decals, and they seem to not work. What is the next
:step - colored streamers hanging from the eaves?