Jim Thompson

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:44:14 -0400, Active8
wrote:

A friend got an old pioneer receiver for $5 - sounds better than his
Marantz.

He had it cranked up and noticed one channel was out. Messed with
the wires and switches - eventually we narrowed it down to dirty
pots for the most part.

Anyway, he smacked it on the side. The tuner dial light went out.
Smacked it again. sound went south. Again. Sound went farther south.
Again. No sound.

"Bad solder," I opined. "Hit it on the other side."

The sound came back a bit and we laughed. I swear each time he hit
it on the other side, the system came back up exactly the opposite
of the way it went down in the first place, with the final smack
bringing the dial light back.

"Ok. Good solder. You just have to know how to work it," I quipped.

I once "repaired" a little old lady's tube radio, that was
intermittent, with a popsicle stick.

No amount of re-soldering every joint would fix it, but I discovered
that two IF cans were just touching... separated, the radio worked.

So I just jammed a popsicle stick between the two.

I didn't have the gall to charge the little old lady for the "repair"
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |