Brian MacD

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:RLxXc.11498$%11.5452@trnddc02...

Any of the parts could have been damaged, as someone else said, the

chassis
may have been warped. That said, if insurance is paying for it, have the
thing repaired, what have you got to lose? If the repair fails, buy a new
one.

The main thing you are losing is the overall reliability of the camcorder.
This is very important, because who wants to have a camcorder fail
while you are on holiday or miss getting video that cannot be repeated,
such as a special family occasion. I have been warned by Sony that
they will not guarantee the overall reliability of the camcorder, even
though they would no doubt stand by the reliability of the particular
parts that they replace. So if through a hairline crack in the board
that eventually gets worse my camcorder fails when I am taking
video that cannot be refilmed, I would only have myself to blame.

If the repair fails, you would need a written guarantee from the
insurance company that they will either repair it again or provide
a replacement camcorder. Further repairs could be very expensive
if you need to replace the board. So it seems far more logical
with an expensive repair job to abandon the camcorder at the
earliest opportunity and replace it with one that you can rely on.
Believe me, there is nothing worse than filming with an unreliable
camcorder if you are an avid movie enthusiast filming events that
cannot be repeated! Having confidence in your equipment is
an important part of satisfying movie making.