James Sweet

"Brian MacD" wrote in message

"Jack Edin" wrote in message
snip

Are there many very small components of a camcorder that
could have been damaged even though this is not evident
from an initial examination of the damaged camcorder?

Plenty!

Thanks very much Jack for your reply. Can anyone give me
some more examples of the types of small components that
could have been damaged that would not have been noticed
in an inspection of the camcorder? Although I agree that
it seems more logical to replace the camcorder than to
repair it, prices are somewhat more expensive in Australasia
than in the UK or USA. The main problem is that my insurance
company, despite the no guarantee warning from Sony, wants
the repairs undertaken and has said that, if the repairs fail, they
will pay for further repairs to be done. The insurance company
is most reluctant to pay for a replacement camera until the repair
option has been tried out. My concern is that, if the camera
fails after being repaired, the insurance company could say that
this is from normal wear and tear. I just can't understand why
an insurance company won't heed the advice of Sony that, even
after the repairs have been done, the reliability of the camcorder
cannot be guaranteed!

Brian

Any of the parts could have been damaged, as someone else said, the chassis
may have been warped. That said, if insurance is paying for it, have the
thing repaired, what have you got to lose? If the repair fails, buy a new
one.