Edwin Pawlowski

"Thierry B." wrote in message
I can't imagine that some manufacturers pay someone just to have the
right to produce a dovetail jig. Despite Their models are quite
similar.

What do you know about that?
Is it possible to sell a Carftsman/Porte Cable look alike?

Read the patents. The particulars of the patent are called out and you can
tell exactly what features are covered. The patent holder may be a design
engineer that works for the manufacturer or they may have bought the right
from an individual.

You may be able to sell a "look alike" as long as the particulars that are
patented are not the same. Just keep in mind that Sears and Porter Cable
have a lot more money than you do. They have lawyers on retainer or on staff
that are very willing to go after an infringement. Unless you are very
wealthy, you don't have enough money to win.

I used to work for a guy that had many patents to his name. One in
particular he licensed to about 10 other companies to manufacture the item
in their region. We used to laugh at how simple it would be to get around
the patent. It was a molded plastic part with holes in it to save material
and cost. All they had to do was put a thin wall of material where the
holes were. The only thing viable in the paten was the holes. No on ever
thought of it and they paid royalties.
Ed