Bernard Randall

"Karen Story" wrote in message
I've been musing on rear-mounted parting tools again. The late renowned
British model engineer George Thomas wrote knowledgeably about them. I
have his book "The Model Engineer's Workshop Handbook". In that book he
recommends grinding some complicated angles on his HSS parting tools.

snip

I recently completed a back toolpost for my SB Heavy 10 using the MLA
casting as a base but modified it based on the MEWH plans and extended the
blade to 1 1/2". I mounted the blade as recommended by GT, but because I am
in the process of building a T&C grinder I haven't taken the steps to do the
extra grinding as he suggests. None the less I have had a real improvement
in cut-off operations since installing the new toolpost and having only one
face to grind makes it very easy to keep the blade sharp (I just hone the 7
deg face each time I do grind).

Bernard R