BigWallop

Default Battery powered amplifier from car speakers and booster amp?

"Sam Bond" wrote in message
I want to build a portable amplifier for a musical instruments used

indoors and
outside for incest (or morris dancing). As far as I can find, commercial

ones
are rather expensive and wouldn't stand the odd shower of rain.

I've come across a couple of 40watt Pioneer 3 cones speakers and a

"booster"
amplifier (2 * 100w, might be a bit dodgy if I'm not careful with the

levels).
The amp actually has a couple of 600mv inputs so until it's working I

shan't
bother with a preamp.

The question, really, is how to box the speakers. All I can find by

Googling
seems to be hi-fi, large-ish adn not designed for out use.

I was thinking of shelf type chipboard (it seems rigid and comes foc from

the
garage) as MDF is rather too heavy. The odd thing about most of the guitar
amplifiers I've seen are open backed, but most but not all of the bass
amplifiers are closed! I don't want a big box I have to carry it, the
instruments and the battery! The speakers are only 5" in diameter, so how

small
a box can I get away with? Do I fill it with furry stuff? Do I stick a

hole or
even a "port" in it?

Any help gratefully received!

Sam

What type of power supply are you going to use ?

Fibre-glass cases would be your best bet for the speakers being used
outside. Even covering the front with a water-proof membrane would be best
suited to this type of use. The skeleton could be made from timber or board
and then skinned in fibre to give it total water resistance. If they're big
enough they could be used a boats when your done with them as speaker
housings.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com