Mark Rand

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:34:02 -0700, Karen Story wrote:

I've been musing on rear-mounted parting tools again.

snip!

Yes, you've got it. The hollow grind on the top causes the chips to be curled
which reduces their width and lessens their tendency to get stuck in the slot.
the pointed grind on the front seems to help to stabilise the tool as well. I
must admit that I hollow ground a parting tool with a very carefully held
Dremel. It worked, but it isn't a good way to do the job.

I am in the process of making a thomas rear parting toll holder, when I've
finished that I get the advantage of the built in top rake as well.

Mark Rand
RTFM