Lurch

Default Built-in Kitchen appliances

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:01:12 +0000 (UTC), "Lamb"
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at refitting my kitchen and notice that the price of built-in
appliances vs. the freestanding equivalent appears to be extortionate and
really puts me off built-in appliances, i.e.. built-in dishwasher £700,
freestanding is £250 for Zanussi with equivalent performance.

Is there any reason why they are so expensive? Aren't they the same with a
little bit less metal (sides) and no feet? Or are the manufacturers or DIY
sheds just making money on the fact that they are built-in?

It is because there is not so much demand for integrated as
freestanding. As you may well already know, the more appliances that
get built the cheaper they can be produced. i.e. mass produced.
Integrated are not as common so cost more to manufacture. Although the
innards are the same they are built differently, on some models. Some
are entirely different on both types.

I personally would go for freestanding appliances with deeper worktops
and standard door fronts, because of the price difference on the
appliances but mainly because of reliability. Integrated are not able
to get the same air circulation as freestanding and therefore
overheat, basically.

Do you know of any keenly priced sources to get these built-in appliances?
I am looking at Wickes B&Q prices at the moment and wonder if they're making
a lot of money on the appliances. I'd like to get a reasonable quality -
Zanussi or thereabouts.

Any advice on this would be welcome, as well as other areas of fitting a new
kitchen where I should be wary of costs or getting ripped off.

Thanks
Mike

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.