Dave Platt

In article ,
Double-A wrote:

I had a track-drive garage door opener that was sticking. I sprayed
it with WD40 and it worked like a charm to keep the thing operating
trouble free for a couple more months.

The plastic links in the track-drive suffered catastrophic failure,
probably due to exposure of the plastic to the solvent in WD40! Had
to replace the whole thing.

Some people use WD40 on their arthritic knees (well if it works on
hinges...). Fact is that the solvent in WD40 is DMSO, the same
substance once touted for its miraculous healing qualities.

The Material Safety Data Sheet for WD-40 aerosol makes no mention of
DMSO. The hazardous ingredients listed are "aliphatic petroleum
distillates", "petroleum base oil", "LVP hydrocarbon fluid", and
carbon dioxide. Each of these ingredients is identified by a specific
CAS registry number, and none of the numbers match the CAS for
dimethyl sulfoxide (67-68-5).

I suspect that the idea that WD-40 contains DMSO is simply an urban
legend.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO