Peter Parry

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:13:44 +0100, "mike. buckley"
wrote:

Hmm, have a google for asbestos cement and then decide whether it's
"harmless". General consensus seems to be that it contains 10-15%
asbestos fibre, and can be pretty nasty stuff.

It is 10-15% Chrysotile - white asbestos - you breath dozens of
fibres of it every day. The only recorded harm caused by Chrysotile
is amongst those who have worked in atmospheres laden with it for
decades.

Seems to be
that as long as I keep it wet and have a suitably high standard mask and
overalls that I'll be fine.

Any reasonable mask will do - it doesn't need to be exotic. Use
water with some detergent added and if you are really paranoid wait
for a nice wet rainy day.

an air hammer, power tools are also a no-no. Looks like I'll either be
removing it by pushing it from the inside, or spending a looooong time
removing the roofing nails they've secured it with :-(

If you do the latter you would certainly be exposing yourself to the
greatest, and well known, risk of asbestos cement. Old asbestos
cement sheets are very fragile and a number of people have been
killed falling through them.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/