Charles A. Sherwood

Are the motors truly in parallel? As in; all three legs of one motor
connected to all three legs of the other motor? If so, you should see some

They are both on the same contactor and start at the same time.
However they are connected together before the overload controls.
One contactor suppling power to seperate "heaters" for each motor.
The third wire of the static converter connects to the third
wire of the motors through the heaters. Seems like the logical
way to wire it (at least to me).

I could connect the third legs together before the heaters, but
I really don't think that would make any difference.

I see no current in the third leg with a clamp on ampmeter after
the motors have started. The voltage in the third leg is 208 and 224
with respect to the other two legs. I guess there is no current because
the voltage is low.

3rd leg current between the motors. Is there a separate switch on the 1/2
HP motor? If they are in parallel you should be able to switch on and start
the 1/2 HP motor *after* the 1.5 HP motor is up to speed.

Probably could, but the motors are hard wired together.